MTHEA Spelling Bee
at the Brentwood Library
8109 Concord Road, Brentwood, TN 37027
TIME: 10:00 am
COST: $5 per student for MTHEA members /
$10 per student for non-MTHEA members
This bee is open to Middle Tennessee and West Tennessee Homeschoolers (residing in one of the 51 counties listed in the FAQ section - see below) who have not turned age 15 on or before August 31, 2023 and who have not passed beyond the 8th grade before August 31, 2023. All participants must meet Scripps Eligibility Requirements.
Most participants will be in 4th-8th grades. Younger students are invited to participate, but please prepare them for competing with older students. The words to be spelled will be from the same list regardless of students' age or grade. In addition to correct spelling, vocabulary questions may also be asked at any level of the bee.
The first place winner of this MTHEA Homeschool Spelling Bee, along with all school spelling bee first-place champions in the 51-county Tennessee Titans sponsorship region, will qualify for the regional semi-finals. The regional semi-finals will consist of a 50-item computer-based spelling and vocabulary test administered between 7:30 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. CST beginning sometime in January or early February 2024.
The 50 highest-scoring students in the semifinals online test qualify to participate in person at the Tennessee Titans Regional Spelling Bee to be held in February or March of 2024 in the West Club of the Titans Nissan Stadium in Nashville. The Regional Bee is open to the public, and anyone not competing is invited to attend as a spectator.
The first place winner of the Tennessee Titans Regional Spelling Bee is sponsored by the Tennessee Titans, including paid airfare and hotel accommodations, to attend with a parent and participate in the Scripps National Spelling Bee scheduled Memorial Day weekend 2024 in National Harbor, Maryland, just outside Washington, D.C.
WORDS & WORD LISTS
All words, definitions, pronunciations and pronouncer guide word lists for all bee levels are provided by Scripps National Spelling Bee and are entries in Merriam-Webster Unabridged, the official dictionary of the Scripps National Spelling Bee, available at:
2023/24 SCHOOL SPELLING BEE STUDY GUIDE
Scripps publishes a list of study words for students participating in school bees each year. All of the words from the 2023/24 School Spelling Bee Study List can be found in the books listed in the Great Words Great Works list here. These are the 450 words recommended for 1st through 8th grade students. We will provide you with a this list once you have completed registration for the MTHEA spelling bee!
2023/24 RULES FOR LOCAL SPELLING BEES
This MTHEA Homeschool Spelling Bee will be using the 2023/24 Rules for Local Spelling Bees as published by Scripps. We highly encourage you to review these rules and eligibility requirements with your student/s prior to attending the Spelling Bee. A copy of the Rules can be downloaded by clicking HERE.
SPELLING BEE STUDY TIPS FROM SCRIPPS
For any spelling bee:
- Read How to Study for a Spelling Bee by Scripps National Spelling Bee pronouncer and former champion, Dr. Jacques Bailly.
For a School-Wide or Homeschool Group Spelling Bee:
- Step One: Students should first learn the study words from the 2023/24 School Spelling Bee Study List. The Study List will be sent to students who register for the 2023/24 Spelling Bee. Some of these study words will be asked at the (home) school bee and all participants are strongly encouraged to learn as many of these words as they can prior to the day of the Bee.
- Step Two: When your students master the 450 study words from the 2023/24 School Spelling Bee Study List, they may get a head start on preparing for the next level of competition by learning the words organized by bee level in Words of the Champions. Again we will provide this to those who have registered for the 2023/24 MTHEA Spelling Bee.
For a Regional or State Bee:
- Step One: Ensure your school spelling champion knows the study words on the 2023/24 School Spelling Bee Study List.
- Step Two: When your school spelling champion masters the 450 study words on the 2023/24 School Spelling Bee Study List, s/he is ready to learn the words and do the activities in Words of the Champions. Words of the Champions consists of approximately 4,000 words grouped by bee level (bee level 1 – early elementary, bee level 2 – later elementary, bee level 3 – middle school) that will be widely used by Regional Spelling Bees. Words of the Champions also includes words from the 2023/24 School Spelling Bee Study List in each bee level.
- Step Three: When your school spelling champion masters the 4,000 words in Words of the Champions s/he is ready to expand his/her spelling skill set by playing the fun word games at Merriam-Webster's Word Central and studying spelling patterns of words introduced into English from a variety of other languages.